CLASSIC HUMMUS SAUCE
By:- Healthways Date: 01-Aug-2020
Hummus is a great spread for your sandwiches, wraps, chapattis, steamed vegetables or its classic accompaniment the pita bread.
- 20 grams chickpeas (soaked overnight in water)
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 10 grams roasted sesame seeds
- Salt (as per taste)
- Add the washed and soaked chickpeas to a pressure cooker
- Pressure cook on medium flame for 10-12 minutes
- Remove from heat, allow them to cool and roughly mash them using a spoon
- In a small pan, dry roast the sesame seeds.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients except for chickpeas and blend smooth.
- Finally, add chickpeas, and blend again to a smooth consistency.
- Your healthy nutritious and protein rich hummus is ready to be consumed.
- Keep refrigerated and use within 2 days
Note: You can use Tahini in place of sesame seeds, or you can also prepare this recipe without using sesame seeds at all!
Calories – 138 Kcal
Carbohydrates – 14.7 gm
Protein – 5.4 gm
Fat – 5.0 gm
Key Ingredients & Benefits:
Chickpeas: As a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber, chickpeas may offer a variety of health benefits, such as improving digestion, aiding weight management and reducing the risk of several diseases. Additionally, chickpeas are high in protein making them a good source of vegetarian protein.
Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds are a good source of several nutrients that are important for immune system function, including zinc, selenium, copper, iron, vitamin B6, and vitamin E. The seeds also contain phytate, a rare cancer-preventing compound that functions as an antioxidant and reduces the effects of free radicals.